- 2 1⁄2 cups very ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup (8 ounces) water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup (8 ounces) white rum
- 1 cup (8 ounces) dark rum
- Orange bitters
- Crushed ice
- 2 cups (16 ounces) ginger beer
- 1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
How to Make It
Bring the strawberries, 1 cup water, lime juice, agave syrup, and ginger to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-low. Cook until mixture is fragrant and strawberries are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and cool completely, about 1 hour.
Transfer the strawberry mixture to a blender. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 5 days. Makes about 2 cups.
For each cooler, combine 1⁄4 cup Strawberry-Rum Cooler Base, 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) white rum, 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) dark rum, and 6 dashes of bitters in a mixing glass, and top with ice. Stir mixture until ice dilutes the liquid into a smooth puree. Pour over crushed ice, and top with 1⁄4 cup ginger beer. Garnish with an orange wedge.