6 medium russet potatoes
4 tbsp. butter, softened, plus more for pan
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. whole milk
2 3/4 c. shredded cheddar, divided
10 sliced cooked bacon, crumbled
5 green onions, sliced
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes directly on rack and bake until soft and easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 1 hour to 1 hour, 15 minutes, depending on size. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Slice warm potatoes in half and remove flesh with a spoon and place in a large bowl; discard skin.
- Mash flesh and add butter, cream cheese, sour cream and milk and stir to combine and until butter and cream cheese is melted. Fold in 2 cups cheddar, three quarters of the bacon, three quarters of the chopped green onion, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush a medium baking dish with butter and scrape potato mixture into dish. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and bake until cheese is melty, about 20 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil until golden, about 2 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining bacon and green onions.