3 large baking apples, halved vertically and cored
6 tbsp. melted butter, divided
1/4 c. granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2/3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
Warm caramel, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place each apple half flat side down and use a paring knife to create thin slices all the way across, making sure to stop slicing right before the bottom of the apple (so it stays together as one piece). Transfer apple halves to prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly brush apple tops with 2 tablespoons melted butter and sprinkle each with sugar.
- Bake until apples are soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. In a small bowl, combine remaining 4 tablespoons melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, and oats. Once cool enough to handle, spoon mixture inside apple slits.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- Top each with a scoop of ice cream, then drizzle with caramel before serving.