6 whole dill pickles
1 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. cornmeal
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Large pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 c. buttermilk
1 large egg
Mustard, for serving
Ketchup, for serving
- Skewer pickles with a long wooden skewer. Place flour in a medium shallow bowl and coat pickles in flour, tapping off excess.
- Whisk the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and black pepper into the remaining flour.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and egg, then pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour batter into a tall glass and let sit while oil heats.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add enough oil to come halfway up the sides and heat to 375°. Dip pickles into batter and coat evenly. Fry, in two batches, until golden, 5 minutes, turning as necessary. Use tongs to remove from oil and place on a paper towel–lined plate. Repeat with remaining pickles and batter.
- Serve with mustard and ketchup.